FDG turnover produces the highly fluorescent product fluorescein, which is easily detected using an appropriate filter set for fluorescein fluorescence (i.e. EX 485nm and EM 535 nm) in a microtiterplate assay format.
This assay kit contains all of the reagents for performing up to 100 assays using 6-well or 12-well tissue culture plate samples of cells or for cells that have been grown onto sterile cover slips for analysis from other plate sizes. In addition, the kit also contains reaction buffers, dilution solvents, a detailed protocol and references for use.
Recent studies have shown that β-galactosidase histochemical staining at pH 6 is a useful enzymatic marker of cellular senescence (the so-called senescence associated beta-galactosidase; SA-β-Gal). While cells entering senescence show this enzymatic activity, immortalized cell types, including tumor or other quiescent cells, are not stained under these conditions. The implications of these methods in such diverse areas as age-related pathology research, tumor analysis and tissue culture maintenance is significant.
See also product Product M0250 for additional information and references.
- Dimri GP, Basile G, Acosta M, Scott G, Roskelley C, Medrano EE, Linskens m, Rubeli I, Pereira-Smith O, Peacocke M, Campisi. (1995) "A biomarker that identifires senescent human cells in culture and in aging skin in vivo." PNAS 92: 9363-9367.
- Yang NC, Hu ML. (2004) "A fluorimetric method using fluorescein di-β-D-galactopyranodise for quantifying the senescence-associated β-galactosidase activity in human foreskin fibroblast Hs68 cells." Anal Biochem 325: 337-343.
- Eriko M, Nakabayashi K, Suzuki T, Kaul SC, Ogino H, Fujii M, Mitsui Y, Ayusawa D. (1999) "5-Bromodeoxyuridine induces senescence-like phenomena in mammalian cells regardless of cell type or species." J. Biochemistry 126: 1052-1059.
- Chen JH, Ozanne SE, Hales CN, (2007) "Methods of Cellular Senescence Induction Using Oxidative Stress." In "Biological Aging: Methods and Protocols" Methods in Molecular Biology 371: 179-189.
Katakura Y, Miura T, Uehara N, Nakata E, Shirahata S (1999) "Senescence Induction in Cancer Cells." In Animal Cell Technology: Challenges for the 21st Century: Proceedings of the joint international meeting of the Japanese Association for Animal Cell Technology (JAACT) and the European Society for Animal Cell Technology (ESACT) 1998, Kyoto, Japan, Part XI, pages 279-282.
- Gary RK, Kindell SM.(2005)"Quantitative assay of senescence-associated beta-galactosidase activity in mammalian cell extracts." Anal Biochem. 343(2):329-34